Details to start the 22-23 school year off right!
A few specifics to help us all settle into what’s going to be a very good school year!
The first day of school is Tuesday, August 23, and all Holland Christian Schools have a half day as follows:
- Elementary schools preschool-5th grade: 8:15-11:30 am
- HCMS: 8-11:15 am
- HCHS: 8-11:15 am
- All 3-day kindergarten and 3-day preschool classes (that meet on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday) will begin on Wednesday, August 24 at the regular starting time of 8:15 am.
We can’t wait to meet you all! In fact, we’d love to meet you if possible before the first day of school! Here are a few student and family orientations to help make that possible, though the elementary Ice Cream Social are optional, but really fun!
- Tuesday, August 16, 6:30-8pm at Rose Park & South Side: Preschool Meet the Teacher Night (Parents only please!)
- Thursday, August 18, 6:30-8pm: Ice Cream Socials at South Side, Pine Ridge, Rose Park. Students and their families can see their classrooms, meet their teachers, put their school supplies in their desks and/or lockers, play on the playground–and then eat ice cream with new friends!
- Thursday, August 18, 11:30am-1pm: HC Middle School New Students Only Pizza Lunch at Holland Christian Middle School
- Monday, August 22, 1-4pm at HC Middle School: 6th-8th Grade Orientation: Get school photos taken, find lockers, sign up for lunch, etc.
- Monday, August 22, 8am-11:30am at HCHS: Freshmen Orientation
- Monday, August 22, 11:30am-3pm at HCHS: 9th-12th Grade Student Check-In Day
Once we meet your kids, and are starting to settle in just a bit, we love to meet their parents, and show you your child’s spaces here at Holland Christian Schools. So we hold Parent Information Nights for each of our schools that are for parents only, and are held at HCMS and HCHS, though the elementary schools are going virtual this year, to help keep things simpler. Those dates are as follows:
- South Side Virtual Parent Info Night: Check your inboxes on August 24 for this virtual-only intro!
- Rose Park & Pine Ridge Virtual Parent Info Night: Check your inboxes on August 25 for this virtual-only intro!
- HC Middle School Parent Info Night: Tuesday, August 30, 6:30-8pm; also virtual-only, by parent request!
- HC High School Parent Info Night: Tuesday, September 6, 7-9pm
The State of Michigan requires that your child(ren) be immunized for enrollment at Holland Christian Schools, and every year we are required by the State to report each student that we have enrolled in preschool, kindergarten, seventh grade, and all those who are new to our district along with their immunization records. You can review the required childhood immunization guidelines set by the State of Michigan through the links to the right.
Please note that the State of Michigan has revised its law on immunization waivers: If you intend to complete a non-medical waiver to the State of Michigan immunization policy, you must contact the Ottawa County Health Department to schedule an appointment to speak with a health educator, complete the waiver process, and then submit the original certified waiver to the school office. By state law, the original certified medical waivers must be completed and signed by a physician then submitted to the school office. A new medical waiver is required each year that your child is reported.
Written evidence that your child’s immunizations are current, or a copy of a certified waiver by law must be received before the start of the school year and is due by or on August 5, 2022 to allow for proper processing before the first day of classes. (If you’ve already missed this date, please get it in asap!)
Please reach out to your school’s secretary if you have any questions. We greatly appreciate your efforts taking care of these immunizations before schools starts, as it is a top priority to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all students!
Bus routes information will be sent out via email next week for those who have already registered.
If you still need to register for transportation, you can still sign up for busing through our Transportation Page but please do it before August 15. However, we cannot guarantee that you will receive the bus route information before the start of the school year.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Families who use HPS or ZPS transportation will need to contact their provider’s district directly to be informed of any busing updates, including cancellations, delays, etc. This will effect the first week of school as well, as their districts begin school on separate dates.
For the last two years, all HC students were able to receive a free breakfast and lunch at school daily, thanks to the USDA Child Nutrition Program. This year, however, we will be returning to student paid lunches since that program is no longer available except for families who qualify for reduced meals.
Furthermore, we are no longer using sendmoneytoschool.com as our online payment program, but are using Family Portal instead; any money you had left in your sendmoneytoschool.com account has been automatically transferred to your familyportal.cloud account. Please see our new online money deposit process flyer for further details about how to apply for lunch benefits. Families are encouraged to apply for benefits even if they think they won’t be able to receive them, as income criteria has changed at familyportal.cloud.
Lunch prices for this year are PK-5: $2.75; 6-8th: $3.00 and 9-12th: $3.25.
We look forward to seeing you at your elementary school’s ice cream social, or at your student’s HCMS or HCHS check-in, where you can deposit money on your student’s account and ask questions. Got questions before then? Email email@example.com
Watch for our school newsletters from your particular Holland Christian School hitting your email inbox on the first Fridays of every month, starting with August 5, filled with all the important back to school info.