Your children have amazing hearts for sharing and blessing others. Here are a few things they have been working on:
- In November we made cards for veterans and delivered them to some local organizations. A few of the students even asked for additional cards that they could color and give to veterans they know personally.
- Preschoolers and kindergarteners have been filling blessing bags. The preschoolers delivered them around our neighborhood while singing songs. Our kindergarteners will deliver them to businesses downtown and to a women and children’s shelter.
- Second graders made thank you cards for staff at our school and hand delivered them.
- In December we will all be decorating placemats with Christmas cheer. First graders will be delivering them to a local nursing home to spread joy at meal times.
Part of our missions statement at HC is “to transform the world for Jesus Christ.” So often little kids are told to wait until they are older: “You can stay up late when you are older. You can reach the top shelf when you are bigger. When you grow up you can be a ______.” Transforming the world for Jesus Christ, however, while it is a BIG mission is something they can do now, while they are 3 or 5 or 7 years old. In fact, sometimes with their childlike faith, they share Jesus with such heartfelt joy that it is a model for the rest of us “big people.”
We continue to use precautions at school to keep everyone healthy and in school each day. Thanks for your help with this in monitoring your child for any symptoms he/she may be experiencing at home. For fevers, your child must be fever free without the use of fever reducing medicine for 24 hours before returning to school. If your child will not be present at school, please remember to report the absence and symptoms by calling 616.820.3535, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just a friendly reminder that the office is not able to administer medication without a doctor’s signature on a medical consent form. This includes both prescription and over the counter medication (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, cough drops, ointment, etc.). You can find the medical forms needed on Medical Forms and Information Page.
Along with the snow comes recess time on the sledding hill! South Side will be providing sleds again this year, so please do not bring your own sleds from home. This will allow us to keep them stacked neat and tidy in the building, and give all students that want to, a chance to sled!
Lost & Found
Our South Side Lost & Found items are in a gray tub in the office. If you are missing anything, please stop in and take a peek, or check out our South Side Lost and Found Photo Album before Christmas break, as we will be donating the remaining items.
Pine Ridge Book Fair will run December 4-7 and we are in need of parent volunteers to staff the times that are open for shopping! Interested in helping at the Book Fair? Please check out this link.
The Book Fair will be open in the Pine Ridge Library for families to shop Wednesday, December 6 2-4pm and Thursday, December 7 3-6pm. We appreciate your support of the book fair which supplies the funds for the library!
Christmas Spirit Week
To get into the spirit of Christmas, we are going to have some fun, themed days our last week of school before Christmas Break, December 18-22. Here’s what we (along with Pine Ridge) have planned:
- 12/18 Monday: Christmas socks
- 12/19 Tuesday: Christmas sweater
- 12/20 Wednesday: Red/green day
- 12/21 Thursday: Christmas headgear (antlers, hats)
- 12/22 Friday: Christmas PJs
Discover South Side
Do you or any of your friends or extended family have a prospective preschooler or kindergartener? Are you looking into options for the 24-25 school year? We’ll be having our Discovery Night on January 16 from 6-7pm, and we’d love to have you explore South Side’s preschool and kindergarten programs! Since we prepare individually for each family visiting this Discovery Night, please use this RSVP link to sign up.
If you are unable to make it to Discovery Night, you are still welcome to visit Holland Christian Schools in person and see things in action for yourself. Feel free to schedule a campus tour through our Admissions Department at email@example.com or 616.820.2806. You can begin by filling out our Inquiry Form. Enrollment for the 24-25 school year begins on February 1, 2024.
We can always use more available substitute teachers! If you love working with kids, have obtained 60 or more college credits, and are willing to have a background check/fingerprinting done, we would love to add you to our list! If you are interested, please contact Rachel Hendershot at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can start an application on Edustaff.org.
Orders for cards must be placed by Dec. 13 to receive them in time for Christmas. Instant TRIP and pick up will be available on Dec. 20, but any orders placed after 10am on Dec. 13 will not be available for pick up until January 10. For more information about this program, please visit our TRIP page.
Important Website Links
- School Calendar
- Lunch Menu
- Medical Information & Forms
- School Transportation
- Before & After School Programs
- 18: Christmas socks day
- 19: Christmas sweater day
- 20: Red/green day
- 21: Christmas headgear (antlers, hats)
- 22: Christmas PJs
- 25: Christmas break begins
- 8: School resumes
- 8-19: Delta Math and MAP testing
- 12: End of second quarter
- 15: No school (MLK Day)
- 16: South Side Discovery Night 6pm
- 19: Report cards live in Power School
- 30: South Side and Pine Ridge Skating Party 6-8pm